Countdown/Contact Information

Questions/Comments/Suggestions/Complaints/Squabbles/Issues/Feedback of any kind? E-mail me HERE.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

And May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor

Any fan of The Hunger Games is bound to be both excited and terrified when hearing this line. Unlike "That, is Mahogany!", the title of this post sums up the feeling of an entire nation on a single day every year.

Last year, I attempted to host a Hunger Games tournament in Wizard101. After all, our PvP, much like The Hunger Games, takes place in an Arena. The project was ultimately too over-the-top to grasp the interest of the masses, and the delicate timing was going to cause problem.

Now, my Wizaversary is coming in just over a month. My 3rd Wizaversary, to be exact. I'd like very much to host a small party in a Hunger Games fashion for my bash; and rather than asking for gifts, I'll be shelling out prizes! The problem with something stylized to match The Hunger Games is, of course, the "one person against the world" and "Highlander, there can be only one" mechanics. For this revised attempt, we'll try a 1v1 tournament. It is recommended that all participants be of the current highest level (be it 70 or 80, depending on the timing. If timing proves to be HIGHLY unfortunate, additional gear/spell restrictions will be imposed) at the time of the event. There will be 14 players. One male and one female from each school of focus.

Oh, and when is the event? The kickoff will take place on May the 19th (assuming there isn't a hitch in the scheduling and I have to move it. I reserve the right to move the date) at 8:00 PM CST. I have no delusions about finishing multiple rounds in one night, so the conclusion of the tournament will be based on how quickly events move along. After the kickoff, anyone advancing will be contacted to schedule further matches. And pairings won't be announced before the match in order to keep with the suspense of not knowing your enemy.

Entering is quite simple; you need only comment on this post to enter yourself. Make sure to include your Wizard's name and school of focus (and current level) Remaining in the tournament is another story entirely. You'll be fighting other wizards before you enter the Arena for your right to play. The Volunteers.

And what of the "Volunteers"? If you see someone entering the tournament and wish to take their place, simply post "I volunteer as tribute in place of [name].". If you are deadset on participating, you'll then need to choose a new school to play from, a different gendered character in the same school, or volunteer to take their place. The last person to volunteer for each school and gender will be the 14 in the bracket. Check back often to make sure you're still the acting participant!

In The Hunger Games, the winner received additional food for their District for a year and all of the glory that comes with it. I can't provide food per say, but I can shell out either two Mega-snack Packs or four Evil Magma Pea seeds. The choice will be for the winner to make.

The tournament will NOT take place if I don't have a full set of 14 tributes. If that happens, the party will instead be free PvP by all. Additional information about how the tournament will function to come soon. May the odds be ever in your favor.

If any of you would like to be "Gamemakers" and host a match in the tournament in an Arena you own, let me know (either by comment, tweet, or e-mail. There's a mailto linked in the top section talking about countdowns.)! The Arena is always supposed to throw tricks at the opponents and different surroundings are always interesting. It's a chance to show off your decoration skills!

Your Friend Always,
John Lifeglen

2 comments:

  1. I would love to join this! My wizard name is Talon Seagem, he is an Ice wizard, and he is a boy.
    ~Keep It Frigid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to enter. My wizard's name is Wolf Nightcaller and he is a lvl 70 storm wizard and possibly lvl 80 if avalon comes out soon. You can also find me on Twitter if you need to contact me.

    ReplyDelete